Fernside Boulevard

 

When C. C. Adams and Mark T. Cole planned Waterside Terrace on Alameda’s East End in 1912, they provided access to the water for all residents with three small semicircular parks east of Fernside Boulevard. The city approved the subdivision map with these parks — one near High Street, a second just across Fernside Boulevard from Monte Vista and a third across Fernside from Fairview. 

 

A self-serving group of wealthy Alameda homeowners dominated the April 25 City Council meeting. They sought to exclude other Alamedans access to long-held public waterfront land on the shores of the Oakland Estuary.