In 1943, Edwin Leon Coleman boarded a segregated train with his parents in El Dorado, Ark., and headed to Alameda. Since White soldiers and passengers occupied all the seats in the “colored” area of the train, Coleman, his mother and sister rode in the vestibule between cars most of the way to California. Despite the uncomfortable half-week journey, the family held out hope that better opportunities would await them in California. Little did the Colemans know that segregation awaited them in the Golden State.
Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) is warning customers of a phone scam. The municipally owned utility has received reports that scammers are impersonating its employees and demanding immediate payment from customers. In addition, AMP received a report of a caller falsely claiming to be a PG&E employee who was collecting payments for AMP.
Construction began Monday on the Cross Alameda Trail (CAT) between Main Street and Constitution Way, along Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway (RAMP) and Atlantic Avenue. This long-awaited 0.9-mile segment of the planned four-mile cross-town bicycling and walking corridor is expected to be built by September 2019.
Students from Alameda’s South Korean Sister City, Yeongdong-gun, recently returned home with souvenirs and stories from the United States (“Sister City’s Students Pay Visit to City Hall,” Jan. 31). Among the treasures they attained were copies of the Alameda Sun with the group’s picture on the front page. While in town, the students visited several Island City landmarks including: Crab Cove, USS Hornet and Semmifreddi’s Bakery. They also attended classes at Academy of Alameda.
In October 2018, the City of Alameda released a request for qualifications (RFQ) for the rehabilitation and reuse of the long-vacant Alameda Carnegie Library at 2264 Santa Clara Ave. and the adjacent Foster House at 1429 Oak St. The goal of the RFQ was to find a tenant for the Carnegie that would provide cultural, educational and economic benefits to the Alameda community, restore and maintain the historic character of the building and provide for public use of the building as frequently as possible.
Alameda’s Climate Action session on Jan. 26 asked the question “What can each of us do for Mother Earth?” Dylan Mochizuki, left, and Jack Connolly, pictured at left, chose to do their part right away by using the recently installed bike rack at Queener’s Piano Studio. They also know to keep their sweaters on during the colder days to conserve heat and to donate used music to the studio’s lending library. In addition, students earn drought-resistant plants for their musical accomplishments at the studio.
The Board of Education for the Alameda Unified School District (AUSD) is currently taking public comment on the proposed new name for Haight Elementary School. The AUSD regulation that governs school names mandates a comment period for a new name that runs, at a minimum, from March 1 to April 15. The comment period for the Haight renaming opened on Jan. 25. Comments can be sent to Board of Education members who can be reached at 337-7187, or at their individual email addresses.