This Sunday, the Alameda Museum once again will join with the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society to present the Alameda Legacy Home Tour. The tour features six homes, three on the city’s fabled Gold Coast, one of which Julia Morgan designed and another a city landmark that Denis Straub designed and built with his stepson Fred Fischer.
Alameda pioneer Benajah Benedict lived on Bay Farm Island — where he cultivated crops — for almost 50 years. He invested some of his profits in real estate. He had three homes built on Jackson Street — including one currently on the market. According to Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn, records do not reflect the names of the architects or builders for these Queen Anne-style, high-basement homes. Gunn writes that the home at 2853 Jackson St. was known to be standing in 1888 and that Benedict had the home at 2857 built in 1895; and the home currently on the market at 2855, in 1896.
The Alameda Museum, 2324 Alameda Ave., has closed its doors temporarily. Curator George Gunn, is working on displaying previously unseen artifacts at this showcase for local history.
The musuem has received a pair of generous gifts and is using the money to expand its display area. Gunn is dusting off items from the warehouse. He has already filled the former art gallery and his former office with artifacts, some that have not been seen for more than 25 years.
Once a year, history buffs open the old Mint building at Fifth and Mission streets in San Francisco to the public for a weekend event called San Francisco History Days. The event pulls together historians and historical organizations from around the Bay to celebrate and share local history.
The event takes place Saturday and Sunday, March 4 and 5, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at 88 5th St. in San Francisco.
After a five-year hiatus, the Alameda Museum welcomes the Alameda Sports Project back to its gallery for the fourth Alameda Sports Exhibit. The exhibition, which will run through Sunday, July 31, features photos and memorabilia that highlight various aspects of the Island City’s sports history with alumni and teams from Alameda, Encinal and St. Joseph Notre Dame high schools. This year, Alameda High School (AHS) football historian Shirley Sachsen (AHS class of 1974) contributed a display on the early years of football at AHS.
The Alameda Museum recently unveiled artifacts in its new gallery. The displays feature one of the city’s founders, the city’s early schools and the police department along with one of Bay Farm Island’s farmers and his wharf. Of special interest are the displays that highlight Alameda’s role in World War I.
Gunn is especially proud of one of the very personal items from “the war to end all wars.” Thelma Eisfeldt’s service medal is easy to miss nestled among several other medals in a cabinet that Gunn purchased with his own money.
Many people who stop by the Frank Bette Center for the Arts are curious about the history of the big golden yellow building at the corner of Paru Street and Lincoln Avenue. They also ask about the man behind the center.
Photo courtesy Timothy Manning. Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn (second from right) received an award for the Meyers House and Garden from California Heritage Council honorary board chairman John J. Hodges (left) and President Christopher Layton (right) Jeannie Graham, who suggested this honor for the Meyers House, is standing next to Gunn.
The elegant Saint Francis Yacht Club welcomed California Heritage Council (CHC) members last month for their annual awards dinner.
Alameda artist Dr. Bob Doerr will host a show and reception at the Alameda Museum, 2324 Alameda Ave., from noon to 3 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 8.
Doerr, who specializes in media painting and sculpture, draws his inspiration from German Expressionism. Doerr said that he is dedicating his show to his fellow Alameda artist Thom Lafferty and to Michael Pritchard, who worked as Doerr’s studio assistant for several years. Gretchen Fleischer will perform on her harp during the show.