On Monday, April 11, at 9:49 p.m., 18 firefighters from the Alameda Fire Department (AFD) responded to a house fire on the 400 block of Greenbrier Road. When they arrived on scene crewmembers saw smoke coming from a single-story home. They learned that the occupants had already been evacuated.
Firefighters entered the home and discovered a back room on fire. Some crewmembers pulled pre-connected hose lines and quickly extinguished the blaze, while others used a power saw and tools on the roof to ventilate the home.
The Alameda Fire Department’s Home Safety Program provides much-needed services to low-to-moderate income residents over 62 and to the disabled of any age. The program provides and installs the newly required 10-year-maintenance-free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
The program can also provide and install grab bars, handrails and raised toilets. Safety items including nightlights, flashlights and grab sticks are also available. If you are an Alameda resident, call Ruth Ann Crawford at 337-2133 to see if you or your loved one qualifies.
At a screening of the documentary film Shallow Waters, The Public Death of Raymond Zack, last Sunday, Alamedans struggled with the import of a particularly unfortunate turn of events that resulted in the death of Alameda resident Raymond Zack in 2010.
Zack succumbed to hypothermia after several hours in the bay waters off Shore Line Drive near Willow Street. First responders, limited by budget and training restrictions, damaged water-rescue equipment and convoluted communications did not act to bring Zack back to shore in time to save him.
The Alameda Fire Department announced a new program last week aimed at improving health care for members of the community, beyond the usual role of the paramedic in the emergency system. The Community Paramedic Program is a two-year state- and county-funded pilot project aimed at addressing gaps that currently exist in the health-care system, according to AFD. The department hosted a public open house to introduce the program to community members at City Hall last Friday afternoon.