The China Clipper taxis on the waters just off Alameda Airport on Nov. 22, 1935, set to take off on Pan Am’s first commercial flight acrosss the Pacific Ocean. The airline initiated passenger service to the Far East on Oct. 21, 1936. The Navy buried Alameda Airport beneath its runways in 1940.
Alameda Friends of the Parks Foundation, the nonprofit organization that supports the parks and the programs that utilize the parks, announced the election of Lena Tam to its board of directors and Mario Mariani to its advisory council.
Tam manages water-resource planning for the East Bay Municipal Utility District. She served on the City Council from 2006 to 2014, including a stint as vice-mayor in 2006. Mariani is a Realtor with Gallagher & Lindsey, Inc.
As the second quarter of 2014 drew to a close on June 30, the city’s coffers contained almost $300,000 more in sales-tax revenue than they did on June 30, 2013, the latest figures show. The city’s share of sales-tax revenue from April to June 2013 amounted to $1.67 million; revenue during the same period last year equaled $1.97 million, a 17.9 percent increase.
The only connection that the Pan Am Clipper has to Building 41 is the mural, seen in the background of the above picture. Despite the 1995 date on the painting, the mural was likely placed there after the Naval Air Station closed in 1997. Pan Am did have hangars for their Clippers, but they stood near Alameda Airport, which lies buried under the air station’s runways. Pan Am tore its hangars down in 1939.
On Dec. 21, 2014 the Oakland Raiders honored four students and one school principal with academic honors awards. The award recognizes local students and educators for their academic achievements and positive impacts within the community.
Pictured from left to right are students Diego De La Rosa, Malachi Francois, Eli McGowen, Seamus McGuiness and school principal John Melvin.