Three New Members Join Downtown Board of Directors
Three new members officially started their terms on the Downtown Alameda Business Association (DABA) 2019 Board of Directors in January. Otto Wright, Eric Olney and Joe LoParo were elected by the membership at October’s annual meeting and join existing board members who were re-elected or are completing a second year of their terms.
“I am delighted to have Otto, Eric and Joe join us for all the excitement that’s on tap,” said Executive Director Janet Magleby. “They are passionate advocates of the downtown district and join an energetic board that works diligently to keep the downtown clean, green and safe for all.”
Wright, owner of The Local, is always ready to greet customers with a smile and an enthusiasm for life. He has traveled the world, living in Russia and China, but now is happy to stay in a one-mile bubble between work and home. The Local keeps it truly local with Mr. Espresso coffee roasted in Oakland and beer from Alameda Island Brewing Company. When Wright is not at his coffeehouse, he can often be found enjoying the funky and artsy vibe of Alameda at Studio 23 or dining at one of his favorite spots such as Speisekammer or Marley G’s.
Olney, a financial professional for Shum Financial Group, was born and raised in Alameda. He joins the DABA Board ready to give back to the community he believes gave him so much. Olney went to college in San Diego, returning to the Island after being there for more than 10 years. He has been working at Shum since July 2017. When he’s not working, Olney can be found at The Star on Park for happy hour or shopping for his wife at Therapy.
LoParo brings an enormous heart and infectious smile to Downtown Alameda. He bought the franchise for RE/MAX Tribute in 2016 and currently has eight employees at his real estate office — three of whom are family.
LoParo can be found strolling the district where he is happy to have an office within walking distance of so many places to shop, eat and visit with friends. Favorite places include Lola’s Chicken Shack when he wants a great meal, or McGee’s Bar & Grill after work with his wife. LoParo has lived in Alameda for 42 years.
DABA 2019 Board of Directors
Officers for the Board include:
• Steve Busse, President; Park Centre Animal Hospital
• Otto Wright, President-Elect; The Local
• Donna Layburn, Past President; Alameda Natural Grocery
• Ron Mooney, Treasurer; Daisy’s
• Krizten Delossantos, Secretary; West Wind Bok Fu
Directors at large include:
• Cindy Kahl, Speisekammer
• Eric Olney, Shum Financial Group
• Jason Tsang, Habanas Cuban Cuisine
• Joe LoParo, RE/MAX Tribute
The association has one director emeritus:
• Kyle Conner, Alameda Theatre & Cineplex
Committees and commitee chairs
• Rich Krinks, Government & Economic Relations; Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices
• Krizten Delossantos, Membership; West Wind Bok Fu
• Otto Wright, Promotions; The Local
• Cindy Kahl, Take Pride; Speisekammer
• Donna Layburn, Landscape & Lighting (Ad Hoc); Alameda Natural Grocery
• Kyle Conner, Advisory (Ad Hoc); Alameda Theatre & Cineplex
All About DABA
DABA and its Board are hard at work year-round with 470-plus member businesses in mind. The business association promotes a healthy retail and service climate as well as a district that is family-friendly, clean, green and safe.