Regent Street Fire Displaces Four Families

A fire at a fourplex on the 1100 block of Regent Street called 27 Alameda firefighters to the scene shortly before 5:30 p.m., last Sunday. Crewmembers arrived to find a second-floor unit on fire.

The unit where the fire started had severe damage. Two other units saw water damage and some fire damage. An investigator determined that food left unattended on a stove had started the fire, which then spread to combustible items in the kitchen.

The residents in all four units had already evacuated the building by the time firefighters had arrived, none of them suffered any injuries. One firefighter was injured fighting the blaze. Two dogs that lived at the complex were injured; one died at the scene. The Alameda Police Department took the second dog to Bay Area Pet Specialist in San Leandro. A firefighter went along and continued to treat the animal, which is expected to survive.

The fire prompted the fire department to turn off the gas and electricity to the building, displacing all four families living there. The American Red Cross has stepped in to assist them. The Oakland Fire
Department provided mutual aid.