Public Invited to Join Planning Dept. Tour
At 5 p.m. Thursday, June 20, the Planning Board will take its meeting on the road. The public is welcome to come along. The board will first host an open forum in the parking lot on Oak Street behind City Hall. Board members and the public will then visit four developments: Everett Commons at 2437 Everett St.; Mulberry at 2100 Clement Avenue; Littlejohn Commons at 1401 Buena Vista Ave. and Alameda Landing.
Everett School rose up at the corner of Everett Street and Eagle Avenue in 1891. The school district demolished the 80-year-old school in 1971 to make room for Island High School. Students attended school there in four portable classrooms until Island High moved to George P. Miller Elementary School on Singleton Avenue in 2006. The abandoned portables populated the site until 2014, when the Board of Education swapped this property to the Alameda Housing Authority (AHA), which then developed Everett Commons.
In February 2015, Southern California developer City Ventures approached the city about developing the 2.78-acre property at 2100 Clement Ave. At the time, the site included a 39,000-square-foot warehouse that the Pacific Bridge Company built in 1939 to house part of its ship- and barge-building operations. The city approved City Ventures’ plans and the company demolished the warehouse and began construction of Mulberry in 2016. The company named the development for Mulberry Street, which enters the project from its south side.
AHA built Littlejohn Commons on the Del Monte cannery site with 31 affordable-housing units. The development, which opened on Oct. 1, 2018, and the park across Buena Vista Avenue were named in honor of justice advocate Elector Littlejohn.
Alameda Landing shopping center opened for business in February 2015. Along with the shopping center, the project includes: detached homes, townhomes and urban-style lofts. It rose up on the site of the San Francisco Airdrome, which the U.S. Navy later took over and built the Alameda annex of the Naval Fleet and Industrial Supply Center of Oakland there.