Meyers House Receives Prestigious Award
Photo courtesy Timothy Manning. Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn (second from right) received an award for the Meyers House and Garden from California Heritage Council honorary board chairman John J. Hodges (left) and President Christopher Layton (right) Jeannie Graham, who suggested this honor for the Meyers House, is standing next to Gunn.
The elegant Saint Francis Yacht Club welcomed California Heritage Council (CHC) members last month for their annual awards dinner.
The Meyers House and Garden received one of this year’s six prestigious awards, which were presented by John J. Hodges, honorary CHC board chairman.
Museum Curator George Gunn accepted the award before an audience of several hundred CHC members. Representatives from the Alameda Museum and Jeannie Graham also attended the dinner.
Graham’s 1897 Colonial Revival home received an award from CHC last year. Graham nominated the Meyers House for this year’s award.
CHC President Christopher Layton narrated a presentation about the Meyers House and Garden. "The Meyers House, erected in 1897, is an example of the Colonial Revival style, popular around the turn of the century," he said.
Designed by Henry Haight Meyers, a prominent East Bay architect, the residence served as the home of the Meyers family until 1993, and is furnished with many objects that originally belonged to them.
The Meyers House and Garden is open to the public for a $5 donation for tours on the second and fourth Saturday each month, from 1 to 4 p.m., with the last tour beginning at 3 p.m.
Jim Smallman is a member of the Alameda Museum board of directors