Island Arts

About the event

Two-time Carnegie Award winning young adult author Patrick Ness will visit the Alameda Free Library to discuss his new book The Rest of Us Just Live Here.

The event is a part of Books Inc.’s Not Your Mother’s Book Club, which has coordinated previous events with us, including award winning young adult authors such as Laini Taylor and Maggie Stiefvater.

Beijing native Ma Wei has returned to the Alameda Museum for her fourth exhibition. In 2012 her one-woman show Greed and Wish graced the museum gallery’s walls. The following year she returned a second time for Movement of Fautus. And in 2014, she came to the museum with her show Spirit of Monogatari — Zodiac.

Her current exhibition We Are the World runs through Wednesday, Sept. 30.

"Can’t Stop the Serenity" is an annual event benefiting Equality Now. This year it will take place at the Alameda Point Theater, 2700 Saratoga St. Doors open at 1 p.m., next Saturday, Sept. 19. The day will include a costume contest, unique prizes and a 2:30 p.m. viewing of Joss Whedon’s science-fiction, western epic Serenity.

Alameda author and Poet Laureate Julia Park Tracey recently published Veronika Layne Has a Nose for News, the second book in the series "Hot off the Press,’’ which features an intrepid young newspaper reporter in search of the truth and the next big scoop.

The first book in the series, Veronika Layne Gets the Scoop, was awarded Honorable Mention in General Fiction at the 2015 San Francisco Book Festival, and was a number-one bestselling book on Amazon in December 2014.

The ferry Oakland waits for her passengers in a 1969 painting by Alameda painter L. E. Nelson. The painting hangs in the Alameda Museum today near the reception desk.

In the painting the Alameda Mole served Nelson as a backdrop. Looking at the history of both objects of Nelson’s interest brings something interesting to mind. Both the Alameda Mole and the side-wheeler Oakland fell victim to fire.

Nelson’s painting shows the 1902 Mole that replaced the one that burned that very same year. James Fair and Alfred Davis built the first Alameda Mole in 1884