How Essential City Services Work Now

Eric J. Kos &nbsp&nbsp Alameda Municipal Power’s service center at 2000 Grand St. has a box in the parking lot where payments may be dropped at any time.

How Essential City Services Work Now

Many city services are available online and by phone and email during the statewide shelter-in-place order. 

Building Department
Building inspections, planning and permitting can be reached at For service by phone, call 747-6800 for building permits or information; 747-6805 for planning permits or information or 747-6854 for help with any problems. Applications can also be submitted online at

Public Works
To request service or maintenance including: traffic and street lights, sewer, obstructions to right of way, flooding, etc., call Public Works at 747-7900 during normal business hours of 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Expect some delays in response, especially for routine service as urgent requests are prioritized. Submit requests online at or through the SeeClickFix app on any smartphone.

Alameda Municpal Power
Electrical emergency repair, routine baseline maintenance, inspections for construction and bill payment service by phone, are available from Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) at 748-3900 or set up an account online at Payments may also be dropped in the payment box in AMP’s Service Center parking lot at 2000 Grand St. Cash payments can be made at Mail Boxes Plus at 2532 Santa Clara Ave.

Fire Inspections
Call 337-2122 for Alameda Fire Department inspections of new construction.

Parks Department
Park facilities are open to the public with restrooms at Bayport Park, Encinal Boat Launch, Lower Washington Park, Jean Sweeney Open Space Park and Shoreline Park. All other restrooms are closed. Staff is available to answer questions by phone at 747-7529 or email at

Visit for online library resources including: access to e-books, audiobooks, newspapers, e-magazines, music-streaming and film-streaming services. The Children’s Services web page has homework-help resources and curated fun and games websites. Staff is available to answer questions by email at

Alameda Police Department
Call 911 if there is an emergency. File police reports online at If it is not an emergency and to talk to someone by phone, call 337-8340. Email Rita Dharmani, Contact Rosie Daniels,, for police records services.

Support for Local Business
Business owners may get help at or by calling the city’s business assistance hotline at 747-6890. Apply for business licenses online at