Maybe it was rust from the long layoff. Or maybe it was going up against the first seed in the North Coast Section (NCS) Div. III playoffs. Either way the Encinal High football team was out matched in its 56-21 NCS quarterfinal game defeat to Cardinal Newman of Santa Rosa Saturday, Nov. 24.
The Jets entered the road contest as the underdog and it showed. From the outset the eighth-seeded Jets were unable to keep up with the high scoring capabilities of the Cardinals.
Nov. 26 meeting canceled, all agenda items rescheduled for Dec. 10
On Aug. 28, Harbor Bay Hospitality, LLC, with HGRA Architects submitted an application and design review to allow the construction of the Marriott Harbor Bay Residence Inn, a hotel and restaurant-cafe at 2900 Harbor Bay Parkway on the Esplanade next to the Harbor Bay Ferry Terminal.
The 2018 Alameda Firefighters Toy Program (AFTP) is underway. The program will ensure that all low-income Alameda parents who sign up at the Alameda Food Bank receive age-appropriate holiday toys for their children from newborns to age 12 and $25 gift cards for youth ages 13 to 17.
Parents needing toys can sign up at the Alameda Food Bank on or before Saturday, Dec. 8, by visiting alamedafoodbank.org or calling 523-5850. The program especially needs donations of crafts, sports balls and items for older children.
Alameda Municipal Power (AMP) reports that thieves helped hemselves to the contents of its two payment drop boxes at 2000 Grand St. over the weekend. According to AMP, the Alameda Police Department responded to a call on Sunday, Nov. 18, that a resident noticed that the drop boxes appeared to be open. APD determined that the boxes had been pried open.
The Camp Fire in Butte County started Thursday, Nov. 8, and impacts were felt in Alameda almost immediately. Air quality quickly reached unsafe for sensitive groups. Smoke from The Camp Fire, the most destructive and deadliest fire in California history, continued to worsen Bay Area air quality to hazardous levels. Residents were advised to stay indoors, keep windows and doors closed and close fireplace dampers. When outside, residents were encouraged to avoid exertion and wear properly fitted N95 respirator masks.