Alameda pioneer Benajah Benedict lived on Bay Farm Island — where he cultivated crops — for almost 50 years. He invested some of his profits in real estate. He had three homes built on Jackson Street — including one currently on the market. According to Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn, records do not reflect the names of the architects or builders for these Queen Anne-style, high-basement homes. Gunn writes that the home at 2853 Jackson St. was known to be standing in 1888 and that Benedict had the home at 2857 built in 1895; and the home currently on the market at 2855, in 1896.
Yesterday the city celebrated its 10th anniversary as a sister city with Jiangyin, China. Mayor Trish Spencer declared the day as Jiangyin Day.
Six delegates from Jiangyin were on hand for the celebration. At the ceremony, the city honored the family of the late Nancy Li, who established the sister city relationship between the two cities in 2008.
The Alameda Sister City Association was formed under Alameda’s Social Service Human Relations Board to promote peace through mutual respect, understanding and cooperation.
The San Francisco Bay Area Water Emergency Transportation Authority (WETA) announced that the Ron Cowan Central Bay Operations and Maintenance Facility at Alameda Point will soon begin operations. WETA broke ground for the project in September 2016 (“Ferry Facility Dedicated,” Sept. 22, 2016). The late Ron Cowan was on hand for dedication of the building that bears his name.
Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) recently informed the city that it is awarding a Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grant to the city. This funding will help the Alameda Fire Department (AFD) retain basic staffing levels and ensure adequate fire and emergency response availability to the community while not impacting the city’s General Fund, AFD stated in a press release.