Firefighters Battle Dual Blazes Sunday

Alameda firefighters responded to a pair of residential fires that caused significant building damage and displaced a tenant last Sunday, Dec. 29.

Alameda Fire Department (AFD) received a call about a small fire around 8:39 a.m. Sunday morning. The blaze occurred at an abandoned two-story apartment building on the 100 block of West Stardust Place, according to AFD Capt. James Colburn. Fire crews responded to a report of smoke coming from the building and found a small fire on the second floor, Colburn said. Firefighters put the blaze out quickly before the fire could spread. The building’s second floor sustained damages. No one was in the building when the fire started.

The second, and more damaging, fire took place Sunday night. AFD received a report of a fire at a home around 6:10 p.m. on the 400 block of Haight Avenue, according to an AFD press release. It went on to say a ceiling fan had fallen to the floor, which resulted in burning embers causing the home to catch fire.

When firefighters arrived they used a thermal imaging camera to locate the fire in the attic of the home, officials said. Firefighters then simultaneously ventilated the roof and removed the ceiling to reach the flames. Firefighters were able to confine the damaged area to the second-floor living room and roof.

AFD said the fire was electrical in nature. A total of 18 firefighters responded to the second blaze. Alameda Municipal Power also arrived to inspect the damage to the home’s electrical system. The power could not be restored to the property due to damage to the home’s electrical wiring. As a result, the tenant had to be displaced.

The fire caused an estimated $50 to $55,000 in damages, Colburn said. No firefighters or civilians were injured in either fire.