Fatal Accident Claims San Francisco Woman

A woman was killed after being struck by a vehicle Friday, Jan. 31, at the intersection of Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway and Coral Sea Street.

Alameda police officers were dispatched to the scene around 1:57 p.m., according to Alameda Police Department (APD) reports. “Upon arrival it was determined that an adult male driver was traveling west on Ralph Appezzato Memorial Parkway,” said APD Lt. Hoshmand Durani. “As the driver approached Coral Sea Street, he veered to the right and left the roadway.” 

As he drove off the roadway he struck the victim while she was standing on the sidewalk at the northwest corner of the intersection. First responders arrived at the scene to attempt life-saving procedures, but the injuries sustained proved fatal. The identity of the victim is being withheld.

The driver, Justin John Benton, was arrested at the scene. He was booked into Santa Rita County Jail in Dublin on gross vehicular manslaughter charges. Benton, 38, was also charged with possession of narcotics, driving while under the influence of narcotics, driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level above 0.08, hit-and-run, reckless driving, a probation violation and driving with a suspended license. He is being held without bail.

This is not Benton’s first arrest for driving violations. Benton was arrested on Sept. 11, 2008, for reckless driving and driving with a BAC level above 0.08, according to Alameda County Superior Court online records. He was also arrested for DUI on Jan. 2, 2009. He was arrested for driving with a suspended license on Jan. 27, 2011. Lastly, he was arrested for reckless driving, hit-and-run, driving with a suspended license and refusal to submit to a chemical test on Dec. 4, 2017. 

Benton pled no contest to reckless driving for the Dec. 4, 2017, incident at his Aug. 10, 2018, disposition, while the other three charges were stricken from the case. He was sentenced to two years’ probation, which was to last until Aug. 10, 2020.

Benton’s next hearing had not been scheduled as of Tuesday, Feb. 4. The case is still ongoing.