Coast Guard Not Getting Paychecks
Federal shutdown affecting locals
Alameda was designated a Coast Guard City, one of 12 in the nation, in 2006. Many Coast Guard families live on the Island and Coast Guard Island, a part of Alameda. These service members aren’t receiving paychecks during the government shutdown, yet they are still out there working to keeping Americans safe. For some, especially those with kids, things are getting pretty tough. The East Bay Coast Guard Spouses have begun a drive to collect items in need to take some of the pressure off.
Donated items may be dropped off at The Local, 1333 Park St., during the week or at Coast Guard Housing this Saturday, Jan. 12.
Items needed include:
- Non-perishable items (boxed cereal, canned goods, peanut butter, jelly, rice, pasta, etc.)
- Gas and grocery gift cards
- Paper products (paper towels, toilet paper)
- Laundry and dish detergent
- Toothpaste, soap, shampoo
- Diapers, baby wipes, formula
- Gift cards to local restaurants
For more information, or to schedule pick ups for large donations, write to email@example.com or call (850) 291-6284.