City Preps Upgrade for Clement Avenue
The City of Alameda will host a community workshop to discuss preliminary recommendations for improvements to Clement Avenue Monday, June 3, at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall, 2263 Santa Clara Ave. The city looks to address safety and speeding concerns on Clement Avenue between Grand Street and Broadway, while improving walking, bicycling and driving.
In December 2018 the city hired consultant team CDM Smith to provide professional outreach, planning and design services related to developing an improvement concept for Clement given the newly approved Alameda Marina mixed-use development, the Cross Alameda Trail nearing completion at Jean Sweeney Open Space Park and construction currently underway west of the Park to Alameda Point. Clement is considered part of the Cross Alameda Trail, which is a proposed four-mile trail between Seaplane Lagoon at Alameda Point and the Miller Sweeney (Fruitvale) Bridge.
City staff recommends the following safety improvements be completed in 2020 as part of a $5 million federal grant.
- Remove the railroad tracks and ties buried in the middle of the street
- Provide a two-way bikeway on the estuary side of the street that would be separated from motorists by on-street parking or other barriers
- Extend red painted curbs at intersections and driveways to improve visibility
- Install stop signs on Clement Avenue at Schiller Street and Stanford Street
- Install high-visibility crosswalks and curb bulb-outs
- Improve sidewalks
- Plant street trees
- Provide accessible parking spaces, truck access and loading zones.
The public will have more chances to participate in the discussion besides the Monday, June 3, community workshop. A Transportation Commission meeting on Wednesday, July 24, and a City Council meeting in September will discuss the proposed concepts as well.
For questions or email updates on this project, or to express input via email or phone, contact Gail Payne at 747-6892 or email@example.com.
For more information, see the web page www.alamedaca.gov/clement.