City to Honor Community Service Icons on Nov. 7
Mayor Marilyn Ezzy Ashcraft and the City of Alameda’s Social Service Human Relations Board will honor the contributions of individuals, businesses and nonprofits at the annual Community Service Awards Ceremony next Thursday, Nov. 7, from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the Elks Lodge Ballroom, 2255 Santa Clara Ave.
This event is open to the public and free of charge. A light dinner will be served. Reserve seats by tomorrow, Friday, Nov. 1, at https://2019community-service-awards.eventbrite.com.
Each year, residents, local businesses, and nonprofits are recognized for their contribution to Alameda’s advancement and vitality. A total of 50 nominations were received this year for nine awards. The 2019 Community Service Awards marks the sixth year of this event. The recipients of the 2019 Community Service Awards are:
• John McCahan — Jim Franz Lifetime Achievement Community Service Award
• Mark Sorensen — Volunteer of the Year Community Service Award
• David Kiewlich — Individual Community Service Award
• Cheri Corfey — Business Person Community Service Award
• Faction Brewing Company — Business Community Service Award
• Luzanne Engh — Nonprofit Board Member Community Service Award
• Alameda Homeless Network —Nonprofit Organization Community Service Award
• Antonio Arevalo — Youth Community Service Award
• Kaia Marbin — Youth Community Service Award
The reception will also honor Eugene Lee, the recipient of the 2019 Extra Mile Award, in recognition of going the extra mile to relieve the health and safety concerns of many Alameda residents during last November’s devastating Northern California wildfires. He provided thousands of respirator masks that were distributed to Alameda residents at a time when supplies were seriously depleted.
Lee demonstrated that one person’s effort to go the extra mile can serve a thousand more. The City Council will present a proclamation acknowledging Lee and the 2019 recipients of the Community Service Awards at the Tuesday, Nov. 5, City Council meeting.