City Committees Have Several Vacancies

The City of Alameda announced last week several vacancies on important city commissions need to be filled. The City Council is soliciting applications from residents who would like to serve. 

  • The Civil Service Board has two vacancies. The board meets quarterly on the first Wednesday of the month at 5 p.m. in City Hall. The board ensures competent and efficient personnel practices, impartial and competitive examinations, fitness- and merit-based appointments and fair discipline.
  • The Commission on Disability has three vacancies. The commission meets at 6:30 p.m. the second Wednesday every other month in City Hall. The Commission was formed to provide information and make recommendations regarding disability issues to the City Council and to receive information regarding the disabled from the community at large.
  • The Housing Authority Board of Commissioners has one vacancy. This Board is the governing body of the Housing Authority. It  establishes policies and advises on the programs for the development of assisted housing and the maintenance, modernization and revitalization of existing facilities. The Board meets on the third Wednesday of each month at 7 p.m. at Independence Plaza.
  • The Library Board has one vacancy. This board meets the second Wednesday of odd months, at 6 p.m. in Conference Room 224 of the Alameda Main Library. It has a wide range of responsibility for the Public Library System. It expends monies; establishes and enforces rules and regulations; purchases books, journals, publications and other property; and borrows books from and loans books to other libraries. The Board also submits an annual budget for Council review.
  • The Planning Board has two vacancies. It meets the second and fourth Mondays of each month, at 7 p.m., in City Hall. The Board advises the City Council on all matters pertaining to the location, design and modification of physical development in the city. The Board administers the city’s General Plan and regulations related to physical development, including the zoning ordinance, subdivision ordinance and environmental guidelines.
  • The Public Art Commission has two vacancies. This commission incorporates public art and cultural programs into private and public projects that enhance the public’s visual and aesthetic understanding and enjoyment of the built environment. It meets as needed.
  • The Public Utilities Board has one vacancy. This Board meets the third Monday of each month, at 7 p.m., in City Hall or at the Alameda Municipal Power Service Center. It is responsible for the control and management of the electric enterprises owned by the City of Alameda, doing business as Alameda Municipal Power. This board adopts an annual budget; sets prices; contracts for materials, supplies, services, and other commodities; and acquires rights-of-way and real property.
  • The Recreation and Park Commission has two vacancies. This Commission was established to advise the recreation and park director, City Council and Board of Education on all matters pertaining to the establishment and operation of community recreation programs, activities and facilities. The Commission meets the second Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. in City Hall.
  • The Rent Review Advisory Committee has three vacancies. This committee reviews rent increases, encourages communication between housing providers and tenants and renders decisions regarding rent-increase requests. The Committee meets the first Monday of the month, as needed.
  • The Social Service Human Relations Board has two vacancies. This Board meets the fourth Thursday of each month at 7 p.m., except during the holidays, in City Hall. It was established to assess the social service needs of the community and to facilitate provision therefor; encourage the formation of private social welfare organizations; foster mutual understanding, respect, equality and good will among community groups; facilitate the provision of social services in the community; disseminate information; and report to the Council on the social service needs of the people.
  • The Transportation Commission has one vacancy.This Commission meets the fourth Wednesday of every other months at 7 p.m. in City Hall. It advises the Council on transportation plans and policies. Via quarterly staff reports, the Commission monitors implementation of approved transportation plans and policies.

Application forms may be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk, City Hall, 2263 Santa Clara Ave., Room 380, by calling 747-4800, or at 

Interested persons are encouraged submit applications to the City Clerk by Thursday, May 9. For more information, contact the City Clerk’s Office at 747-4800.