Alameda High Reopens Today

Courtesy www.alamedainfo.com    Alameda High School as it appeared in a 1930s-era postcard. The building dates to 1924.

The public is invited to a ribbon cutting ceremony for Historic Alameda High School, 2200 Central Ave., taking place today, Thursday, Aug. 8, at 4 p.m. The ceremony will both mark the completion of the two-year seismic retrofit and restoration project and welcome students back to the iconic buildings after some 40 years.

The 100,000 square-foot historic high school, constructed in 1924, is a registered Historical Landmark. Much of the high school moved to a new campus in 1978. Since then the campus has served as the district office, the Alameda Adult School and the Alameda Free Library. 

The district office moved out in 2012 after the building was deemed unsafe and has since stood empty. The goal of the project was to restore and preserve the 1920s architecture while creating 21st-century learning environments.

The restoration and modernization project includes:

  • Historic interior and exterior restoration, including preserving main lobby to resemble the original 37 state-of-the-art classrooms, 11 new science labs and technology to provide modern classrooms.
  • Complete seismic retrofitting, installation of fire-sprinkler systems, and updating structural, mechanical and electrical systems for functionality and efficiency — with minimal visual impact.
  • Historic window restoration and reuse of elements such as window frames, trim and moldings.
  • New landscaping and seating areas along Central Avenue, as well as historical repair to exterior columns and reliefs, terrazzo entry stairs, bronze and copper detailing and numerous exterior decorative stamped metal panels.
  • Outdoor learning space.

Learn more about the project at www.alameda.k12.ca.us.

ALAMEDA HIGH by the Numbers

  • 600 laborers worked on the project over 2 years.
  • 6,000 holes drilled into the ground so that grout could be injected and stabilize the liquefiable soil.
  • 2.4 million pounds of concrete and 900,000 pounds of wood removed from the buildings.
  • 1.2 million pounds of steel used to stabilize the buildings.
  • 19 miles of conduit and wiring laid to upgrade the electrical and telecommunications systems.
  • 5 miles of copper and steel piping installed.
  • 350 historic wood windows restored along with 6,000 panes of glass.