History

Dennis Evanosky &nbsp&nbsp Joseph Knowland commissioned the building of the Honeymoon Cottage as a wedding gift to his daughter and son-in-law.

Tour Homes this Sunday

Sep 17,2019

The Alameda Museum and the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society (AAPS) present their annual Legacy Home tour this on Sunday, Sept. 22, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. 

Read More
File photo  A B-25 bomber takes off from the USS Hornet’s flight deck at the beginning of the 1942 Doolittle Raid.

Doolittle Raid Anniversary to Feature Flyover

Mar 28,2017

Alameda Naval Air Museum’s (ANAM) motto — “Come see history in your own backyard” — will have special meaning this Saturday, April 1. The museum invites everyone young and old to visit Alameda Point, where they can look to the skies around 11:45 a.m.

Read More
Robin Seeley photos.  Farrah Morin, Safia Pigott and Abby Hayton sit on the steps of Post Street’s Gold Rush cottage. Others who participated in the Culinary Academy event but not pictured are Daniel, Evan and Vivian Pell.

Panning for Gold in My Kitchen

Jan 27,2016

At 1223 Post St. in Alameda’s East End, a humble Gold Rush-era cottage still stands. It once housed a Norwegian immigrant named Christopher Christensen and his family.

Read More
Courtesy Chuck Millar When Alfred A. Cohen built the Alameda Park Hotel, he had no idea that the enterprise would fail, became an insane asylum and then burn to the ground in 1879.

Alameda Park Hotel Morphed into Insane Asylum

Jan 20,2021

When British-born Alfred A. Cohen built his railroad through Alameda, he turned to his friend and fellow countryman George Bird to build a hotel to house the men who built the line. Cohen and partner James D. Farwell built a second hotel across town to accommodate a wealthier clientele.

Read More
Revered poet and Bohemian George Sterling so impressed Chauncey and Josephine Pond that they named the street in their East End development for him.

What’s in a Name: Sterling Avenue

Jan 07,2021

Dennis Evanosky
In 1916 Dr. Chauncey Penwell Pond and his wife, Josephine Kibby Pond, filed a plat map with Alameda County. They had purchased the Hawley tract on the east side of High Street south of Central Avenue.

Read More

Pages