Pardon a turkey this Thanksgiving
While President Trump is pardoning two turkeys for Thanksgiving, every one of us can exercise that same presidential power by choosing a plant-based Thanksgiving observance. Here are some other good reasons:
• You will stay awake for your entire favorite football game.
• Your sensible vegetarian kid won’t have to boycott the family dinner.
• Plant-based holiday roasts don’t have to carry government warning labels.
• You won’t have to call the Poultry Hotline to keep your family out of the hospital.
• Your body will appreciate a holiday from the fat, cholesterol and hormones.
• You won’t sweat the environment and food-resources devastation guilt trip.
• You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died.
• You can brag about pardoning a turkey — like Trump (or not).
Seriously, this Thanksgiving, let’s give thanks for our good fortune, health and happiness with a life-affirming, cruelty-free feast of a plant-based holiday roast, vegetables, fruits and grains.
Our own dinner will feature a store-bought plant-based holiday roast, mashed potatoes, stuffed squash, candied yams, cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie. An Internet search on “vegetarian Thanksgiving” has given us more recipes than we could possibly use.