History of Alameda

A collection of articles on Alameda History by Dennis Evanosky and Eric J. Kos


Alameda Chamber of Commerce postcard of Neptune Beach


Once a year, history buffs open the old Mint building at Fifth and Mission streets in San Francisco to the public for a weekend event called San Francisco History Days. The event pulls together historians and historical organizations from around the Bay to celebrate and share local history.

The event takes place Saturday and Sunday, March 4 and 5, from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, and 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday at 88 5th St. in San Francisco.


Since 1983, Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Jan. 16 this year) has been designated a day of service. Residents can get started early on Saturday, Jan. 14, from 9 a.m. to noon, when Alameda Point Partners and the city of Alameda Public Works Department host a shoreline cleanup event.

Volunteers are asked to wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes, and bring their own reusable buckets or bags and work gloves. Large groups are encouraged. Participants under the age of 18 are welcome, but must be accompanied by an adult.  


On Saturday, Jan. 7, 2017, Immanuel Lutheran Church on Lafayette Street will celebrate the 125th anniversary of the dedication of its church, the oldest sanctuary in Alameda. (Alameda has older congregations, but they worship in newer sanctuaries). Immanuel’s sanctuary on Lafayette Street is also the oldest Lutheran sanctuary on the West Coast.


America lost a hero last week when one of the two surviving Doolittle Raiders passed away in Missoula, Mont. David Thatcher’s death at age 94 left only one surviving member of that elite team. Eighty Doolittle Raiders boarded the USS Hornet CV-8 in Alameda on their way to surprise Japan. They departed on April 2, 1942; 16 days later they were flying 16 B-25 Army bombers over enemy territory. 


In 1916 Dr. Chauncey Penwell Pond and his wife, Josephine Kibby Pond, filed a plat map with Alameda County. They had purchased property on Alameda’s East End. The plat map showed plans for a housing development along a street that the Ponds chose to name “Sterling Avenue.”