A court and a nearby street off Lincoln Avenue recall one of Alameda’s pioneer families. Edwin Baird Mastick was born in Burton, Ohio, on March 22, 1824, to Benjamin and Elizabeth “Eliza” Tomlinson Mastick, the second of nine children. When Edwin was still an infant, his parents moved to Rockport, Ohio. Edwin attended law school in Cleveland and began to practice law there.
In 1848, Edwin married Lucretia Mary Wood. She was born in Henderson, N.Y., on Feb. 28, 1824, the last of 12 children. Mastick Court and Wood Street bear the married couple’s surnames.
Peralta, Sausal, Leona and Arroyo Viejo creeks flow from the Oakland Hills and empty their waters into San Leandro Bay. Native Americans plied the bay’s water and the nearby marsh to reach the nourishment that the birds provided at the rookery on “Wind Whistle Island,” as the Indians called our Bay Farm Island.
Alameda Naval Air Museum’s (ANAM) motto — “Come see history in your own backyard” — will have special meaning this Saturday, April 1. The museum invites everyone young and old to visit Alameda Point, where they can look to the skies around 11:45 a.m. to witness a B-25 flying over the former Naval Air Station. The historical aircraft is making its appearance to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the departure of the USS Hornet CV-8 from Alameda Naval Air Station on April 1, 1942, to begin the Doolittle Raid.