The trio of homes at (from left to right) 1001, 1007 and 1011 Grand St. form what Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn calls "a string of pearls."
In 1891, architect Charles Shaner designed the Queen Anne-style home at 1001 Grand St. David Brehaut teamed up with J.C. Diamond to execute Shaner’s design. The home cost $4,700. According to Gunn Brehaut and Diamond built 22 homes in Alameda between 1889 and 1892
When Mara and Robert Bathiany replaced the roof on their backyard workshop on Marina Drive, they discovered that a previous owner had used aluminum printing plates from a 1964 edition of the Alameda Times-Star to protect the roof.
A British-born architect whose name we associate with the Arts and Crafts movement designed the house that Girls Inc. of the Island City call home today.
Ernest Albert Coxhead was born in 1863 in the English seaside town of Eastbourne, about 70 miles south London. He and his five siblings — Ernest was the fourth oldest — lived a peripatetic existence. They moved frequently as their mother, Mary, watched over them and their father, William, eked out a living as a schoolmaster. The family lived a more settled way of life after William took a job as a boarding house keeper.
Girls Inc. of the Island City, 1724 Santa Clara Ave., will host an open house to celebrate its 50th birthday from 1 to 5 p.m.., this Saturday, May 3. Girls Inc. will mark the day with live music, refreshments and birthday cake.
The Meyers House is the only vintage home in Alameda open to the public.
For the past 16 years, the home has been open only one day each month, staffed by volunteers under the direction of Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn.
The gracefully proportioned Colonial Revival house was completed in 1897. The Meyers family bequeathed the property to the Alameda Museum and the city in 1994.