History of Alameda

A collection of articles on Alameda History by Dennis Evanosky and Eric J. Kos

 

Alameda Chamber of Commerce postcard of Neptune Beach

Ship captain James D. Farwell arrived in San Francisco in the spring of 1850. He had safely captained the steamboat Tehama from Panama. Farwell, who hailed from Maine, opened a chandlery on Clay Street in San Francisco. As a chandler he supplied the ships in port with their wares.

In 1880 Adolph H. Schnabel hired Edward Childs to build a home for him at 2233 Santa Clara Ave. The federal census, taken in June of that year, shows Adolph and his brother Augustus living in Otto Beck’s hotel on Montgomery Street in San Francisco. Both the census and the home’s documents list Adolph Schnabel as a mining expert.

The World War II Air Force squadron, the Doolittle Raiders, was awarded the Congressional Gold Medal by President Obama on May 23. The medal is considered the highest honor Congress can give a civilian. 
Congress awards the medal to individuals who have “performed an achievement that has an impact on American history and culture that is likely to be recognized as a major achievement in the recipient’s field long after the achievement,” according to the Congressional Research Service. 

The trio of homes at (from left to right) 1001, 1007 and 1011 Grand St. form what Alameda Museum Curator George Gunn calls "a string of pearls."

In 1891, architect Charles Shaner designed the Queen Anne-style home at 1001 Grand St. David Brehaut teamed up with J.C. Diamond to execute Shaner’s design. The home cost $4,700. According to Gunn Brehaut and Diamond built 22 homes in Alameda between 1889 and 1892

Newspaper plates discovered on workshop’s roof

When Mara and Robert Bathiany replaced the roof on their backyard workshop on Marina Drive, they discovered that a previous owner had used aluminum printing plates from a 1964 edition of the Alameda Times-Star to protect the roof. 

Pages