History of Alameda
A collection of articles on Alameda History by Dennis Evanosky and Eric J. Kos
In 1916 Dr. Chauncey Penwell Pond and his wife, Josephine Kibby Pond, filed a plat map with Alameda County. They had purchased property on Alameda’s East End. The plat map showed plans for a housing development along a street that the Ponds chose to name “Sterling Avenue.”
In 1890 three talented professionals teamed up to design and build the house at 1207 Union St. in Alameda — architect Charles Shaner and builders David Brehaut and J. C. Diamond. These men had a hand in designing or building more than 80 homes during the Victorian era in Alameda.