The Alameda Museum and the Alameda Architectural Preservation Society (AAPS) present their annual Legacy Home tour this on Sunday, Sept. 22, from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m.
In all, ticketholders will enjoy visits to eight homes on Lincoln and Central avenues, on Everett Street and Gibbons Drive. However, there’s more to this year’s tour than visiting unique East End homes. Contained within this year’s keepsake guidebook is a walking tour composed by historian Woody Minor.
A curse, a failed land grab and murder played roles in an important end game
Tomorrow marks the 150th anniversary of an event that took place in the little town of Woodstock on Alameda’s West End that changed the history of our country.
On Sept. 6, 1869, a train with Leland Stanford aboard rolled into what would become the City of Alameda three years later. Aboard that train sat one of the Central Pacific Railroad’s “associates.” We remember these men — Stanford, Charles Crocker, Collis Huntington and Mark Hopkins — better as the “Big Four.”
Last week’s article announcing the release of Bay Farm Island: A Hidden History of Alameda (“Bay Farm History Book Released," July 4) resulted in a surprising amount of orders after just four days of being available to the public. According to author and publisher Eric J. Kos, this initial set of orders will be shipped out before the end of this week.
Not one, but two lines define the border between California and Nevada. One is the official boundary that the U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey (USGS) laid out in 1893. Twenty years earlier, Alexis W. Von Schmidt, who lived out his days in Alameda, had surveyed that “other” boundary, appropriately called the “Von Schmidt line.”
Much like sailors of his day, von Schmidt used the stars to define his position while surveying his version of the boundary. USGS used more accurate information about longitude not available to von Schmidt.
The “increasingly popular” Alameda Walks program will take a journey through the history of Bay Farm Island Saturday, June 1, with the help of Alameda Sun Publishers Dennis Evanosky and Eric J. Kos. The walk will trace the original shoreline and discuss topics including Bay Farm’s early settlers and the development of its neighborhoods.
Meet at 9 a.m. at Godfrey Park, 281 Beach Road. The walk lasts about one hour and 15 minutes.