The two photos shown above often come up as topics of conversation on social media. They are seldom shown as a pair, however. These photos were taken minutes apart some time after 1906. The photographer stood on the east side of Park Street and Central Avenue.
History of Alameda
A collection of articles on Alameda History by Dennis Evanosky and Eric J. Kos
The first lived on a small estate name ‘Homebush’
Vigilante James Farwell, Consul Frederik O’Hara Taaffe and Steamboat Captain Robert R. Thompson and their families once lived on an estate that became Lincoln Park.
In 1890 this station at Park Street and Tilden Way replaced the one that A. A. Cohen had built for his San Francisco & Alameda Railroad in 1864. Cohen sold his railroad to the Central Pacific Railroad in 1868. The very first transcontinental railroad train stopped here on Sept. 6, 1869.